Friday, March 5, 2010

The most wonderful shoes in Finland

Designer Du Jour is the wonderful Minna Parikka 

this time I was recently lucky enough to interview my current favorite designer; the talented Minna Parikka.
Minna's designs came to my attention about a year ago and I've been stalking her website ever since and admiring her work.

I was so excited when she agreed to answer some questions for my blog and I hope that you all appreciate her amazing work as much as I do. I'm currently saving up for some items in her latest collection!!

Thank you so much Minna!

Note: the clothes, gloves and masks are also available under at Minna's website

 www.minnaparikka.com




First of all can you describe your personal style and the influence if any that it has on your designs?
I design things that I can wear myself. All the designs come from me and they resemble my personality and the idea of beauty I have.

 Is there anyone in particular who has influenced your personal style? My mother. she used to change my nappies in red lipstick and red varnished nails.


What made you decide to become a fashion designer, have you always felt drawn to this career?
I have know that I am going to be a shoe designer from the age of 15. 

Favorite colour? leopard print
Did you face criticism from relatives or friends at your choice of career or were you supported throughout the process?
My sister was the one who had the idea that i was to become a shoe designer. My family and friends have been extremely supportive throughout the whole process of having my own brand. Without them i would have given up a long time ago.

How would you describe the aesthetic of the label? Sensual, fun and high quality.

What fabrics do you favor? leather. my shoes are all in leather: uppers, linings and soles. my favorite is high shine leathers or on the contrary buttery soft nappa or suede. I like to mix hard fetich image and innocent soft image.

What is the fashion scene in Finland like? Fashion scene here in Helsinki is tiny. We have only few brands that have international potential and that are ambitious. The good thing is that everybody has their own style and brands are not copying each other, everybody knows each other here.
Do you perceive that there is a pressure on you to conform to local idea's of fashion and style; does this limit your creativity? Not at all! it is totally the opposite. Here I feel like I don't need to run after seasonal trends or other influences. Here I have space to create the things that I think are beautiful and what i would want people to wear. My style is not Finnish at all. It is really difficult to spot the origin of my design style. Mostly people think that i am from London. 

Do you ever draw inspiration from fashion history? I love history and nostalgia. My collections will always have a hint of the past. I used to have a very vintage look but now my style has grown up more and I am going into a more high class and elegant look without losing the enjoyment of designing.

Who do you see wearing your collection? I have so many different kinds of women as my fans here in Finland as well as internationally. It can be a sharp business woman, fashion  victim, older lady or a rock star. Pretty much any woman with attitude and personality.
What would you like to achieve for the company over the next 5 years? We are working hard to get the brand known internationally. I am well known in my own country we have a boutique and a webshop and we are stocked in 10 different countries. I want to get more retailers internationally. 

 What’s your take on the plus size model debate? Luckily shoes don't have this problem. A pump will fit a size 0 or plus size model.

If you could give an aspiring designer one piece of advice what would that be? Find your own style, stick to it but always remember to follow your time and keep your senses open. People will have so many opinions and suggestions what you should be doing. Trust yourself. 

Do you ship worldwide? we ship nearly world wide.










Anything else you would like to add?

 I want to design shoes that are fun and attractive. I find that sometimes when men design shoes they are bit too over the top. They are not actually something that I as a woman would like to wear. It is important that there is a certain sense of wearability. There is always some elements that can be added to shoes to make them just that little bit more comfortable.

  

38 comments:

Esz said...

I love MP shoes so much - they're so gorgeous but I still don't have the funds to buy one! Australian conversion rates are at around $400 for a pair - ouchies!

My friend who lives in London loves them and has quite a few pairs and she says they're so comfortable.

I hope Minna can open an Australian store one day! Even though we are literally on the other side of the world from Finland!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

What a great interview!!! I would so love to get my hands on just one pair of her shoes, I love her designs so much!!

Audrey Allure said...

Beautiful shoes!

Just stumbled by & I love your blog! :)
- Audrey Allure <3
http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

diamondsinchampagne said...

That first pair of turquoise heels are fabulous. Love those gloves too, so cute.

Fabiola "Fab" said...

so many to choose from! sweet!!!!

Diya said...

OMG THOSE TEAL HEELS! I'm glad you featured this brand, I've always loved the shoes from minna with bows and heart cutouts and whatnot... sooo girly and fab.

ps.please check out my new blog if you have the time: http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/

mom & son said...

Nice interview, my dear!
I love the first shoe! My gawd, these shoes
wanting me to buy them. I wan it all, sweetie!

C'est moi, Cecilia ♥ said...

gorgeous shoes! the blue ones are TO DIE FOR !

xoxo

darlingdee said...

If I had a spare dollar I would totally spend it on these shoes. They are to die for! It maybe a birthday present to myself.

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. It would be super exciting if I saw you at LMFF!!!

P.S I am following you, would love it if you would like to do the same

xx
DD

darlingdee said...

If I had a spare dollar I would totally spend it on these shoes. They are to die for! It maybe a birthday present to myself.

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. It would be super exciting if I saw you at LMFF!!!

P.S I am following you, would love it if you would like to do the same

xx
DD

junghwa by Amy Stewart said...

Hi! Thanks for entering my giveaway!!

Oh my gosh I love those shoes! The black ones with the creme leaves on the side are HOT!

Here's a link to my giveaway incase your other readers might like to join in on the fun!

http://junghwabyamystewart.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-giveaway.html

Julia said...

What an awesome interview with a great designer! Thanks!

To answer your question, we use a Nikon D5000. :) Thanks for your comment!

xx

C'est moi, Cecilia ♥ said...

thanks darl! :)
the puppy training has been going good! (thankfully) how have things been for you? hopefully you had a great weekend!

xoxo

ana b. said...

I love the vampiness and saturated colour of the shoes and dresses. Just fab. And her mother sounds particularly fabulous!

Holly Sanders said...

Wow her shoes are beautiful!! I will def check her out! Great interview!! Love the blog! Thanks for the comment!

Glam Girl said...

Lovelly shoes! Lovelly post! Thanks for your comment, come back soon! U have aq great blog, I'll be following u!
http://keepingupwithglamfashion.blogspot.com/

Ms Unreliable said...

The teal booties, the pink heels...amazing! I'm far too uncoordinated to wear them without doing some serious damage, but those are the kind of heels I'll be dreaming about for a long time to come!

Great interview, thanks for sharing Minna's gorgeous work with us all! :)


xx Kit

Mousevox Vintage said...

oooh. i love minna parikka. xo.

stylechanges said...

oh yes they are really beautiful shoes
cool black top looks great

The Owl's Closet said...

awesome interview and she has such gorgeous shoes! thanks again for dropping by my blog:)

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

melina bee said...

such hotness! I love that her favorite color is leopard!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

great read and I love the eye candy along the way!!

Saskatoon said...

Loving the blog!

Check mine out if you like?

http://idratherhaveacupoftea.blogspot.com/

X x x

Glam Girl said...

Love the last picture! Nice post!

http://keepingupwithglamfashion.blogspot.com

Festy said...

Great post! I love it!
xoxo
Festy
http://festyinstyle.blogspot.com/

pixelhazard said...

Oh I'm loving all the sweet little bows!

Angie said...

thank you! i like the gloves :)

PinkBow said...

these shoes are to die for, especially the turquoise bow boots!

Walk The Sand said...

Lovely interview. Thanks for sharing.
x

mom & son said...

Hello sweetie!
I have already commented here in this post.
I just want to thank you for dropping by and for the comments. Thank you so much!

mom & son said...

Hello Dear.
Just checking out on you...
thanks so much for the comment
and have a beautiful Fall season.

Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing, just saw your tag on the Vogue forums; "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." and just had to tell you that it gave me the best laugh I've had in ages. Thanks!

Denise said...

thank you for sharing.

wow i love those shoes! they're amazing. I love those cutouts and the colors are close to my heart. Love love it.

I am Denise Katipunera

MITICA ILLUSTRATIONS said...

cool selection!

Aya Smith said...

That pink, heart-cut out shoe is AMAZING, wow! :D

Love,
Aya ( Strawberry Koi Blog )

mom & son said...

Hello Sweetie!
Just dropping by to say and hope everything'is fine with you. Take care!

rüya tabirleri said...

What a great interview!!! I would so love to get my hands on just one pair of her shoes, I love her designs so much!!

ladies shoes said...

Ladies shoes have endless variety these days with the buyers going crazy when they go for shopping. Their facial expression lit up every time they see a pair of shoes which appeals to their heart.